CleanMED Introduction

January 4, 2024

 Remember that 30 day no sugar challenge from 2017? 

Time has passed, I have aged a little, and I’ve started to become more concerned about my health. Sure, I run and feel just fine, but my labs are telling an ominous story between my cholesterol and A1c. I know genetics do play a role but really it’s my own fault for having the food preferences of a 6 year old.

At work, I saw a study announced called the CleanMED study, where they were looking for healthy volunteers to eat a regular “Western” diet for four weeks and then a Mediterranean diet for 4 weeks. They provide the food for the Mediterranean part, and I really have wanted to try it but never knew how to start, so it seemed perfect. 

My first four weeks were Western (normal) diet. I got to fully enjoy the holidays and my trip to NYC. Each week, my cholesterol comes back high (>200) as does a non-specific marker of inflammation. I’m really excited to see the impact of this new way of eating on these lab values.

Today was day 1 of Mediterranean-like food. Bottom line: nothing processed, no red meat, no dairy, no sweeteners, just lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, olive oil, and fish/chicken. People are going to think I am on some crazy New Year’s resolution kick!

I am curious about how I will feel and how my labs will change.

I’m a scared I’m going to have no energy and feel like poo during the first week as I go through sugar withdrawals/headaches like I have before.

I am hopeful that I can keep this up after the study and not revert back to my old ways. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge