Singapore

Thoughts from Singapore, as I I sit here in seat 12A on flight #4 to Manado.
Well first of all, I definitely am glad I had that extra day to "rest" and get a bit switched over to completely different time and temperature.  I am exactly 12 hours off until I land in Manado, at which point I will be 13.5 hrs ahead of DC time.  The bed was divine, and the shower...oh the shower!  I forgot about this until I was taking a shower,math at I chose that hotel for both its location and its multi head and rainfall shower.  Really anything would have been just fine by that point, but hey, a girl likes to pamper herself a bit!


I woke up and went for a run.  I was just going to run on the treadmill especially once I  saw the 7:30am weather was 81, felt like 91. But the concierge suggest d it was a nice day and I should definitely run outside.  I'm glad I did because what did I encounter but a race! 10K and half marathon, ending very close to my hotel! I sort of gently kicked myself for not knowing about it and registering! I could have had a neon orange race tank top from Singapore! It was a total blast cheering and taking pictures for people next to the KM signs so they didn't have to do selfies.
I ran around Marina Bay Sands and in some of the Gardens by the Bay area before running back across the Helix bridge enjoying the floating soccer field, Merlion, and Singapore views.  I was literally dripping with sweat and it was not glamorous but I was happy!
I showered, washed my running clothes and hung them to dry, and snoozed a bit before heading out to the Singapore Botanical gardens.  On the way to the ATM machine in the mall connected to my hotel, I passed a Mr. Bean themed restaurant called "Teddie and Me"... I knew where I would be eating lunch!
I took a cab to the gardens (right decision) and wandered all over, admiring the lush tropical views.  I took a few wrong turns, but it wasn't a big deal because things are far closer than they looked on the map.  The park had a lot of picnicking families, a wedding photo shoot, some recent graduates throwing their caps in the air, and joggers.  I have to hand it to them... I wouldn't want to run there! Hills and heat - ugh!
The orchid garden was neat, especially the VIP section full of orchids named for foreign dignitaries that have visited. I especially liked the Princess Diana orchid and Will and Kate's orchid. They were all sorts of colors and shapes,and even the ones at first glance were kind of ugly, on closer inspection, were still pretty cool.  At some point, I was just too hot and just done and had had all the natural beauty my brain could process and appreciate, so I found my very long way to the metro station. Thankfully their trains are air conditioned!  The Metro was really easy to use and trains come frequently, so it was an enjoyable experience.  Please, no durians.
Just some photos from my day in Singapore.
Highlights: Encountering a 10K & Half Marathon when I was out for my run, Gardens by the Bay, National Orchid Garden, falling asleep on the river cruise.


Gazebo

Care to swing?




 
Former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien's orchid




Subway rules
I returned to my hotel by a round about sort of lost way and encountered a huge display of Lamborghinis.









Oh yes, and this is when I went and ate a quick lunch at Teddy & Me!  It wasn't the most memorable meal for the food but I really didn't care. I got back to the room to recharge my camera and my body!  I don't do heat well!

When I was ready, I ventured out again. First I went down to see the Formula 1 Grandstand area near Singapore Flyer, then walked over and caught a cab to Gardens by the Bay.

Gardens by the Bay is a fascinating project, teaching about sustainability and conservation.  I tours both cloud and flower domes and learned a lot, actually.  They showed a video about global warming and the impact and it was pretty sad and sobering.  I had supper at Pollen, and wandered around the gardens some more.  I didn't go up in the Super Trees but they are simply genius.  Look them up.










Super Trees at Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands Hotel
Formula 1 Grandstand, Singapore


I left and walked over to Marina Bay shops. Holy cow... Designers galore! I really just wanted to find the River Cruise, not shop, and was able to get directions to the quay (pronounced key).
It was cooler by now, thankfully, and the 40 minute cruise sounded like just the way to end the day. I got to see Singapore from the water, including the Merlion and Fullerton hotel, and Clark and Boat quays, and I learned why some things are built on certain banks. After that, the combination of sitting and the relaxing sounds of water worked their usual sedating magic on a tired me and zzz - I slept the rest of the cruise. Oops!

I found my way back to the taxi queue, abandoning my thoughts of walking back, because by this point my heel was red and my body hurt! I took the cab, packed up, took one last wonderful shower, and laid down for a well deserved rest!

I met up with all the other divers at the airport and discovered that two of the other ladies canceled at the last minute, so we are only 9 now. The boat can hold up to 14, so several of us including myself now have private cabins! We are all on this flight to Manado together and then we also go to Sorong together tomorrow morning.

 I found Singapore to be very clean and safe, with interesting architecture that has both British and Asian influences beautifully combined, and a very diverse population. It truly is a melting pot, but not in a boiling over angry way. I absolutely loved watching the little kids. They are the same everywhere, delightedly splashing in puddles, shrieking, trying out their little running legs, and getting great joy from the sounds made by their squeaky shoes. The song "You've Got To Be Taught to Hate" came to mind. I rode an elevator with a super covered up Muslim woman and her family, and it was a good lesson that made me kind of feel like a prejudiced jerk. Though this lady looked unusual to me, to him, that's just what Mom looked like and he certainly didn't think anything of it. Then he cried because his brother got to push the elevator button before him, a universally grievous thing, and the Mom and I looked at each other and shared a laugh and a smile. I also realized that my taste buds and stomach strength will be tested this trip. What I consider breakfast food and what they consider breakfast food are quiet different! Sardine pocket anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge