Dive #100

4/20 10:30 AM
Last night, I went on my 100th dive! That's a pretty big milestone for divers, and I knew I would hit it this trip. It was a night dive, which probably deserves a little extra credit! We descended, saw a flounder, then I managed to kick myself right in the injured right shin! OW! I screamed underwater. I did not want to abort the dive so fast so I gutted it out and just hoped it wasn't bleeding and going to attract sharks! We swam on and found some coral and I was rewarded with seeing not one but two large black & white flatworms as well as a nudibranch or two and a clam that really reminded me of a slightly melted chocolate sundae with caramel sauce. Mmmm. Probably hot fudge. I wished I would have had a spoon! Other divers are noticing how everything looks like food to me underwater! That's because I have white rice and white bread coming out my ears! I've eaten more plain cucumber, watermelon, and tempeh than I have in my entire life! Luckily my stomach is doing fine and the others are having some trouble, so better safe than sorry.
I'm pleased to report that the dive deck crew understood my explanation yesterday so now when they hear the dive bell, they start loading the gear on the boat!  I also have them trained to put boat 1's gear all on the same side of the dive deck when we come back up and boat 2's stuff on the opposite side so it is very easy to load without wondering which gear goes on which boat.  I go down and reward them with lots of smiles, and thanks to the dive master Mansoor aka Shaggy, they are all calling me Sayara, which is "honey"! Oh great! Haha It has really been a challenge with only 3-4 people on the entire crew that speak English, and not great at that. I guess we are the first American group he has had. Mostly Japanese and Russians, I guess. Anyhow... We'll have them trained by the time we leave.

I skipped this morning's dive because my ear was clogged so I just hung out on the top deck and studied and listened to music and played games on my iPad. There's nothing like the swaying of a boat and listening to Andre Rieu's Veleta Waltz to make you think life could not be better! Sigh! Well, I'd take some bacon and a steak... On towards our next dive site.

11PM
Well the second dive of the day, my first, was not fun at all.   I learned long ago that the ocean is bigger than me and if the ocean wants the water to go a certain direction, aka current, you should respect that and go with it. Trying to swim into it and make forward progress, especially when you are my size and strength, is futile.  A few other things happened on this dive that I was quite upset about and felt that I was even put in danger.   Lesson learned - say "screw it" the very first or at least second time you think you should abort the dive. I'm here on vacation to have fun, not to prove what I can handle.   Anyhow... I dove the third dive of the day as well, once again a total mess up from a dive briefing and destination perspective but at least no current.
 Tonight we had a bonfire and barbecue on the beach. That was pretty fun, but who invited the mosquitoes and sand fleas?!  It was the most perfect, romantic night if it weren't for all those other people! The moon was out, you could see stars, including the Big Dipper, and it was just enchanting! Sigh! Now we are motoring 6-7 hours to tomorrow's destinations.

Some of the boat crew

Potatoes and spicy sauces

Fish and chicken on the grill



Vegetables

Grace

The bonfire

Tammy, Me, Tom

Rosa & Darlene


I think 7 days would have been plenty. I suspect I have gained weight! Tonight they made chicken so I pounced on that, as well as potatoes and onions. I haven't even been eating fun carbs like cupcakes :-( I'm really looking forward to Bali! First order of business: steak!

Thinking of you at home and missing being in touch. I hope my phone saves all these posts I'm typing as I go! I knew I would forget if I tried to wait until the end to remember!

One great tidbit from yesterday's dive: I saw what I thought was maybe a worm or even a necklace that had fallen into the water and coral had grown on it. I hadn't seen this before so I motioned Tammy over so she could see it and get a picture of it. When we got back to the boat, I asked her about it, this great find of mine. Well, turns out it's poop. Sea cucumber poop. Needless to say, she didn't bother to take a picture! Oops, so much for my proud moment! I wanted to ask her about something I saw today but now I'm a bit afraid to find out what it is! Probably more poop!
 Oh yes, one highlight underwater today was this coral that looked like one of the Supertrees from Gardens by the Bay in Singapore.

The top, which was blue tipped, was absolutely teeming with fish. Not clownfish like Nemo, but still cool, and in all sizes. I am so glad I brought a magnifying glass this trip! Some critters are teeny like pygmy sea horses, and some are barely the length of my thumb nail. All the way up to the other end of the spectrum with those Manta Rays and huge plates of coral! Good night from somewhere in the ocean!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge