Bali

Before I forget everything, I must post about the amazing island that is Bali!
I landed here around 6 PM.  I had a nice view of the water and beach as I landed, and just getting out into the airport was already a nice experience.  We got to exit through a jetway instead of walking down the airplane stairs to a bus.  It's the little things...
I felt a bit incensed, or make that I smelt a lot of incense, as there are little shrines along the way as you walk to the baggage claim.

Once I picked up my bags (yay - scuba gear made it!), I went out to find my driver.  He was great and it was so nice to be in a place that felt a bit more ... well, I guess Westernized is the word for it.  It was clean, modern, and didn't have the smoking and fumes like Sorong & Manado.
Away we went for the surprisingly long drive to Ubud.  I've never seen so many people on mopeds!  Kuta area is just crazy so I was glad I hadn't picked that as my home base!  It was almost a 2 hour drive to get to my hotel, but oh wow, once we pulled in,  I was absolutely blown away!
First of all, the staff came out and was bowing, welcoming me profusely to their resort.  They asked if I was expecting anyone else, and I said, "No, it's just me," and they said, "Well you are part of our family now, so you are not alone."  Awww, how sweet!  They put a plumeria behind my ear (aka frangipani), and one of the men took my heavy bags to my room while I set about my first task: STEAK!  I was starving and anything sounded good, but I promised Tom before leaving Sorong that I'd eat the first steak I could get my hands on!
I was so hungry, I didn't even bother to stop and take a picture of it, but here is a picture of the welcome drink they served me, which was a mix of ginger, lime, honey, and ice.

 
Here is my room.  Ok, so I'll confess I splurged a bit here and I sort of felt like I should have been on a honeymoon or something!  It was absolutely lovely and I enjoyed every minute here.


Door to my villa


I loved my door!


Check out this shower! Rainfall showered with skylight, plus rocks surrounding the area where you stand.



View from my shower & bathtub - not too shabby!


This was so relaxing: the sound of the river below, plus the fountain seen here.  I never wanted to leave!

View from my bedroom
Perfect spot for tea

Frangipani everywhere. 
The room was just perfect.  Ok, so I admit there were ants and that bugged me a lot at first, but they were mostly interested in the bowl of fruit and all these flowers (which is why I have resisted continuing spreading flowers all over my apartment).  I saw behind the front desk they have huge garbage bags full of these blossoms - wow, I want to live in this world!

I woke up and went up to breakfast, which is one of my top 3 favorite meals of the day.  To say I was utterly spoiled is an understatement.  It was all included with the stay and every little thing was done with thought and care.  It puts my NYC Fairfield Inn breakfast to shame, which is why I don't have any photos of that!
Poached pineapple with plain yogurt and raspberry sauce 

Daily bread basked with butter and jams

I ordered various juice blends but this was probably pineapple,banana, orange.

Bacon & eggs

Day 2 breakfast: fruit plate instead of the pineapple

New day, new breads waiting to be devoured


These orange flowers were everywhere.
Another juice combo - pineapple orange.



This first day in Bali was my designated SPAAAAAHH day.  I booked it just in case my skin needed recovery after all the time in saltwater ;-)  I'd go back here just for the spa alone.  The one I found was #1 on TripAdvisor and though it was a bit of a trek to get there, it was absolute peace.  It wasn't hard to try my hand at meditating and mindfulness in a place like that!
My package included a Hair Creme Bath, Sports/Deep Tissue massage, Reiki relaxation massage, Reflexology foot massage, Flower Bath, and I threw in a pedicure at the end just for fun.


Doing the hair treatment.  While the hair soaks in the stuff, the therapist is busy massaging arms and shoulders and neck,

My little slice of heaven for the next 3 hours.  It's open air but walled in.


I love all the decorate rock work around Bali.  Also, see these ubiquitous orange flowers again?

I wanted to savor and remember this indulgent moment forever!

Pineapple smoothie. Sipping this while I had my feet rubbed. Seriously, why did I come home?



More decorate rock work

Couples massage pavilion



After the spa day concluded, I walked to the town of Ubud on the Campuhan Ridge Walk, passing rice fields, homes, art studios, resorts, etc.

This place is just LUSH!



Temple at the end of the trail

Ornate carvings


 Once I arrived in Ubud, I walked down main street and took in the sights, including these delightful orange flowers, and then I found my way to a familiar watering hole to pick up gift card souvenirs for my Mom.
The little woven basket on the left is one of many offerings people leave at these shrines.


Starbucks in Ubud
I had fun shopping and looking around, but it is incredibly hot & humid and I didn't want to ruin all my relaxation so I headed back to the hotel for a nice evening in and a good sleep.
Day 2, I woke up and went on their Rice Fields and Village Walk, where we walked to a local village, even visiting a school.  Like I observed in Singapore - little kids are the same all over the world!  9 yr old boys in this little village in Bali horse around and won't stand still for pictures any better than my nephews at home, and there was a little girl running around on the playground who could have been my youngest niece!  It was another hot, sweaty day, but a fun memory.
Loaner hat

Impressive posture!  This lady was probably in her 60s, barefoot, working in the rice fields


Kenderan was the name of the village, and then Kepitu was one section in Kenderan, if I remember correctly. 
The community's temple

The community hall, which I believe is also called the Banjar Kepitu

Balinese wood carvers.

I wanted to bring home something but this just would not fit in my luggage!

Beautiful work! I really gained respect for what goes into making their beautiful pieces. It must take hours!

I bought some hair sticks from this lady's shop.

Former Royal Palace

Black and white checkered fabric was everywhere. It symbolizes the balance of good (white) and evil (black)
Kids having a snack

9 yr olds

9 yr olds
9 yr olds. I couldn't stop laughing. Little boogers!

Eating what looked like a lunch of ramen noodles after he drained the broth out.

Tired after running around.  One of these girls could have been my niece!

Goddess of something - hopefully knowledge and patience!

Library for the school

Woman doing laundry in the stream

Gas for your moped?
Rice field near my resort.  I've forgotten how much rice each level produces.  Not much if you eat rice all the time but probably enough for a few months for me :-)



After my rice field walk, I went into town to do some shopping and just to look around some more in the daytime.  I also had a very special dinner reservation (see separate post about Restaurant Locavore).  It was a lot of walking and I was a sweaty mess but I really enjoyed my time and would come back here multiple times.
Convention skirt?

Uh oh, this is the problem - I've been buying the whitening stuff, not the tanning stuff!

For the record, this is the one I went to.  It was off the main street, but they were really particular about their fish and they cleaned everyone's feet really well before allowing you to put your feet in the water, which was reassuring.  It really was clean so I wasn't grossed out by that part of things.

Proof I did it!

It totally tickles and I giggled the entire time


Ubud Palace (near Starbucks)









Early Apple CEO - "There's Just One More Thing"


Here are a few more pictures of the resort where I stayed.  I honestly was a little teary about leaving because I just loved my stay here so much.  The entire staff was super friendly, I felt so welcomed, and really truly rested.  It was my vacation from my vacation.




Yoga Hall.  They have free classes at 7AM and 2PM




Carvings in the stone walkways to my room

He was my landmark for where to turn.

Everyone gets Frangipanis here! Hers stayed in place better than mine
A little shrine by my doorway

Someone actually got up really early (before 9) and put an offering there, I'm assuming for me or on my behalf!

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to eat the mint or just leave it so I just left it.


Sad goodbye!  They take pictures of all their guests.

This is only the second time I've had uniform envy!  I loved the dresses the Iceland Air stewardesses wore and I loved their outfits here.  


You can see why I was sad to leave!  Such gracious hosts!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge