Musings and thoughts....
It's amazing how many thoughts can go floating through your head while frosting cupcake after cupcake. That's how I spent part of my evening ... thinking about why I love holidays so much and thinking about Valentines Day tomorrow. I had great plans to bake all these cupcakes and then spend some quality time curling my hair with my magic curling iron. Unfortunately I fell asleep while waiting for the cupcakes to cool so I am now out of time for the hair so I have to get up really early tomorrow and get curling.
I celebrated Valentines Day a day early ... doing all the self-indulgent things I wanted to do. I'm most delighted with the eyebrow waxing lady I just went to today after work. She's definately an artist! She did a wonderful job and it was a wonderful way to kick off the next few days!

One of my thoughts was about holidays and if maybe I missed my calling as, oh I don't know, an elementary school teacher? I just love holidays, the decorating, dressing up, sending cards, and remembering people and it seems like everyone else has grown out of that. How very tragic. I'll just have to continue my one-woman mission of spreading a little cheer, one cupcake at a time :-)
My other thought this week, along those lines, was the importance of celebrating and enjoying little moments in life every day. It's been a lousy week, watching young guys fighting for their lives against weird, freak things that aren't anyone's "fault" - not something they could have protected themselves against by wearing a helmet or wearing their seatbelt. We all know it or have at least heard it, but life really is precious. I liked this thing someone forwarded me about happiness - I'll leave you with that.


"Happiness is a Choice"

What would it take to make you happy? Think about your answer for a moment.

Now, I know some of you think that if you only had this or that particular thing you'd be happy. Others believe that if you were only in love with someone wonderful who loved you back, then you'd be happy. And there are probably still others who believe that if God would work a miracle and cure you or someone you love of an illness, that would make you happy.

But I want to tell you something. Happiness is a choice you make, not something that does or doesn't happen to you. You can choose to be happy right now, no matter what you have or don't have.

The first step is gratitude. If you develop and heighten your powers of appreciation by focusing on the beauty in your life instead of the imperfections, you will be halfway there. I guarantee that you will see an abundance of beauty in your life, regardless of your surroundings or circumstances, if you will only look for it.

Once you can see it - appreciate it! Not just intellectually - let it give you real joy. You see, the time to be happy is now, the place to be happy is here, and the reasons to be happy are all around you. So what are you waiting for?

Comments

Thanks for sharing this! Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day! I am still a bit like you- I love holidays and decorating and all that. Valentine's Day happens to be my favorite- what's not to love about hearts and getting valentines in the mail?
Lainey said…
My mom used to say the same thing....happiness is a choice we make. Sometimes it is harder to choose that than at other times. I try to make it more challenging for my own children to develop character and prepare them for life. For example when I have to tell them No they cannot have their DS lites for another hour, I also tell them now would be a good time to choose to be happy about it. I think it is OK to use my moms wisdom this way isn't it? Seriously though, that wisdom has been a help to me. Thanks for reminding us again.
Troy and Beth said…
Janell...you are getting deep...don't spoil your "cute and blond" image!! *grin

good reminder!

Since we're going on every year having the workers for Valentine's day... it just must show that we "love" the workers!!! We had a great day! :)
Pharmgirl said…
Hey, I didn't say I wrote it! I was just in one of those moods I get into after watching young guys die. :-( Don't worry -- it'll pass til next time. Wait until you see the cute socks I bought this weekend! Feisty!
Pharmgirl said…
PS - The closest single guy to my age in my field IS a worker - good thing I don't love them **that** much! haha

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge