It’s still going!

Dear gentle reader…

Just a quick post to let you know I’m still continuing on with this new way of eating. I sometime stop in amazement at some of things I’m going.  A couple days ago it was the realization that I really like a particular spice. Normally I just bought mixes and never gave a thought to what was in there. Now I can say with certainty: I really like cumin! Last night, it was the amazement that thanks to my many recent spice purchases (thank you, Aldi), I was able to make multiple recipes without wondering if I had the right things on hand and whether or not one green spice would be an appropriate substitution for another green spice (parsley, oregano, thyme, others). 

My new typical grocery haul 

Yesterday alone, I prepared the following for this week ahead:

  • 3 servings of whole grain spaghetti
  • 1 serving of oatmeal for today (they are quick oats so I only do them the day before)
  • 1 large apricot/thyme glazed chicken breast
  • Pinto beans
  • Black beans
  • Roasted red and orange peppers
  • Roasted broccoli (ate it all though)
  • Parmesan Rosemary “fries”
  • 3 “doses” of almonds
  • 3 “doses” of walnuts
  • 6 portions of fruit
  • 1 sliced avocado ready for adding to a salad today


I am not 100% perfect of course. This week I forgot to eat breakfast one day and also forgot to take my bag of fruit and snacks, so I wound up buying food at work but I picked the least processed thing I liked.  I also am finishing up the last of my box of Sees Candy, one piece per day. I think that’s ok. Once it’s gone, it’s gone and I won’t buy more. I also still make my Uncle Dan’s ranch dressing, which is my favorite thing ever.  It helps me eat unlimited vegetables. I don’t think my mayonnaise, sour cream, or the mix fall in the good categories and may actually fall under the ultra-processed category that I am trying so hard to avid, but it’s just 3/4 tsp of flavoring so I hope that isn’t the end of the world. I’ll keep working to find minimally processed, no additive mayo and sour cream. I think I found a mayonnaise that may work, so that will be a process of experimentation.  

I continue to be absolute in love with my new air fryer. That’s a good thing since I just dropped and broke my Zavor pressure cooker last night :( They don’t make it anymore and I think the part that broke might be crucial to its function but I’ll maybe try it one more time before I throw it out. 
This week I’ve made orange cardamom roasted carrots (delicious)
Countless batches of roast or air fried potatoes 
Shredded chicken for fajitas
I’m working my way through America’s Test Kitchen’s Air Fryer perfection cookbook, trying new sides and mains. Kinda fun!
Orange cardamom carrots


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge