Caribbean Cruise, Part 3
Day 5 - Grenada
Grenada

I went for a run the next morning and the fitness center is at the very front of the boat on the 17th level, so you're way up high, and it looked like I was going to run right off the treadmill all the way into St. George's, Grenada! It was fun looking over all the people outside who were watching as we got closer to the island. Velva signed us up for a tour for "Highlights of Grenada" at the last minute and I'm glad she did. We learned a lot from the guide, Henry, and I gained a new appreciation for spices and this island. My thoughts:
#1. Thank goodness this van is air conditioned!
#2. Thank goodness Mom isn't here
#3. Thank goodness I wasn't driving!
They drive on the left and as long as they think they can squeeze by with a millimeter or two to spare... perrrrrrfect!
Our guide, Henry, was a fascinating guy - part Scottish, part East Indian, as well as a mix of other stuff. Apparently that's not uncommon on the island. We saw a couple forts, learned how Cuba armed the patients at the mental hospital with guns to shoot the invading Americans, saw their federal prison and their hospital - gulp! We saw those last two from a distance. The hospital doesn't have their technology stuff installed or something, so he said medicine here is mostly trial and error!! The crazy thing is there's a huge medical school there!
I saw some interesting grass that someone told me is called Shy grass - it curls up when you touch it. I saw a black sand beach, learned about cashews, cinnamon, nutmeg, and their other spices, and I learned why bananas are curved.
We learned some of their political history too. The island has had quite a rocky history with humans, plus it has been hit hard by hurricanes. I wouldn't want to live there!
The school kids were all getting out as we went through one town and they were SOOOO cute! I have no idea how the girls from the nuns' school kept their tennis shoes and socks so white! There was one little guy about Bowdrie's age, I'm guessing, and he looked so cute with his big backpack and baseball hat!
This night, Velva had a facial after supper and I went and explored the ship and discovered a comedian. He was hilarious and his jokes were surprisingly clean. I listened to him for the rest of his show - maybe 40 minutes or so, and I laughed and laughed! He was great!! Once he was done, I went back to the room and she wasn't there so I left and note and headed upstairs to the pool where they show Movies Under the Stars. Dinner for Schmucks was playing so I watched that. That's what I'm missing tonight -- sitting outside, 10PM, wearing shorts and a tank top and being the perfect temperature! Warm, balmy, Caribbean nights - aaaah! Why am I here where it's negative temperatures with snow and ice?!!

I was signed up for dives on this next island, and before arriving I didn't know much about the island or diving there but I really enjoyed the dives. We headed out to our sites bright and early. The rental gear wasn't the greatest so I'm planning to get my own travel fins and BC. The rental fins in Bonaire were too big and rubbed a section on the top of my foot until it was raw so I was glad for Velva's huge bandaid selection and better fitting fins!
The first dive was a wall dive, something I'd never done before. The reef was full of life and I got some excellent pics and videos there. I was especially excited that our 2nd dive was at Champagne Reef. I saw a snorkel advertised for that location but I wanted to dive. It truly seemed like how it must look if you were diving in an actual glass of champagne with the bubbles all around! The water was warm anyhow, probably 83 degrees, but these bubbles were coming from thermal vents or something so those areas were especially warm. And no, it wasn't because someone had peed :-) The dive master said when we were done with our dive, we could go up and pull snorklers down from the surface, just for kicks, but I didn't. I probably should have though, just to see the look of surprise! :-D
On this dive I met a fun couple from Montana and we had fun diving together. The husband wasn't afraid to poke and prod around and see what sea life he could find, and as a result I saw a lot more critters with him than I do on my own! Lobster, sea turtles, eels eels and more eels, etc.
The part of Dominica I saw above water, the town of Roseau - that was my least favorite place. It was just poorer and more desperate. Beggars, pushy salepeople with their little stalls, set up just for cruise ship passengers. I don't know that they have any industry other than tourism.
The daily cruise newsletter warned to be cautious with what you ate and drank on the island, so we chose to not eat and drink at all and just return to the boat once I'd done my mandatory magnet & postcard purchase :-) Some of you may have received one from there -- I wrote them while standing in the post office because it was air conditioned :-D
Back on the boat, we went back to our favorite spot at the back on the top decks. It was just perfect - not too hot, plus there was a nice breeze and it just lulled me to sleep! I woke up when they announced that the ship was departing!
The night we left Dominica was our final formal night so we got to get dressed up one more time and go take more pictures! :-) One photographer was especially good so we made sure to go to her area.
After supper, we went and changed back into normal clothes and went to the performance in the theater, and then headed back to the one lounge where the comedian from the previous night was going to be performing again. While we waited, we noticed a huge crowd of people over by "Crooners lounge" - little more than a piano and several tables and soft chairs around. What was the draw? I went over to take a look and lo and behold, the piano player was standing on top of the front of the grand piano with his shoes off, wearing mismatched crazy socks, singing and dancing! The guy was a total nut! I couldn't tear myself away and wound up staying to watch the rest of his performance. He was great!!
Once he finished we went to the comedian, who once again was really funny, and then - to bed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge