After I read Rory's blog I decided it was time to write a post about my ... life revolution of the past few months. I decided on my birthday to make this year a year of health. I didn't know exactly what that would look like at the time, but that was my theme. Then while in Hawaii, well - there's something very sobering about trotting around in a swimsuit in public. "You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't fool any of them when you're wearing a swimsuit!" I was inspired to change my diet and life. It seemed like I'd been slowly adding weight and my 'baseline' was creeping up and up. I wasn't sure how or what would happen or if I could even do it, because I've failed a few times before, but I started making changes there in Hawaii and it has launched me on a really amazing journey - very educational to be sure! It's amazing how much info is out there that I just did not know or pay attention to, and I can't stop thinking that if I didn't know it, someone who works in healthcare - how many others are clueless like me?!
So I hope you're sitting down for this: I am no longer the Mountain Dew, Hot Tamale, and Happy Meals girl!
** November 17th (the day I returned from Hawaii) was the last time I drank a Mountain Dew. I have had an occasional Pepsi or Coke but have gone weeks without a single drink of pop!
** I've gone from at least once a week Happy Meals/fast food to less than once a month!
** I have started eating fresh fruits and vegetables and EGGS! Yes, that's right, eggs! Instead of a breakfast of Rice Krispies with sugar sprinkled on top or dry Honey Nut Cheerios, I am eating scrambled eggs for breakfast! I now use pots and pans and utensils and dishes and I even sit down to eat it!!
** I take pineapple and often celery to work for snacks instead of eating candy from the machines.
** I am making it a point to cook my own food and plan ahead rather than base food decisions on how many minutes it takes to heat in the microwave! I'm making it a point to eat real food!
** I really read labels and that has been an eye-opener! My breakfast (2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon) has fewer calories than one single snickers bar!

My secret weapons are Costco, Splenda, and tea! Tea sweetened with Splenda was what helped me kick pop and get through the usual withdrawal/headache phase, and it remains a staple and a favorite!! Costco has the fresh pineapple, eggs, and bacon that I use for my breakfast and snacks :-)
I am still fascinated by this -- I am eating more food, yet losing weight! I lost 12 pounds within the first 3 months and have kept it off for over 2 months now! 10% of my body weight, pretty much! I wouldn't say I am just bouncing off the walls full of energy but I am far more stable, no longer having the lows that would have me grabbing for a can of Mountain Dew around 10 AM before ICU rounds. Another benefit is that I have had far fewer headaches :-)
I'm excited that this is something very sustainable for me, it's not a fad diet, it's just simply making good choices. Crazy how that works, isn't it?
Okay, so I am totally tooting my own horn but I just wanted to share my success and progress :-)

Some things that made a difference for me:
www.thedailyplate.com -> I track my foods and exercise here daily. This also calculates nutrients - the first time I've ever looked at macronutrients and things like sugar, fiber, fats, sodium, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
This video is almost an hour and a half long but was just a jaw-dropper for me. Highly educational, very sobering - I felt horrible and so guilty for all the garbage I've put in my body these past ?? years ... at least 13! Wow!

And finally (though they often wind up at the top): before and after photos. Hawaii in early November and just yesterday.



Comments

Janell,
You look great! It is wonderful to hear about the changes you have made to improve your health. If everyone did that, you might be out of a job! Keep it up!
Great job, Janell!
Ryan said…
That's awesome! Keep it up!
CVG said…
Thatta girl :)

It makes me happy and excited to hear stories like this. I sometimes slip into sugar-mode--and isn't it tough to break certain habits? Everything tastes bad for awhile, and then suddenly you can't imagine surviving without all of those healthy snacks and veggies.

What a difference in the photos! Younger looking, obviously skinnier, healthier, happier, more energized... hot! At least that's what I see in them.

Come visit the fam sometime. Apollo would probably like you.

Miss you,
Cameron
RORYJEAN said…
You look amazing! Wow! 12 pounds seems like a small number but the pictures really show what a big difference that makes. You're so beautiful! I am so inspired- maybe I can do it! I fell off the wagon this week- went to a pie party and ate too much, then got sick, stopped counting calories. Time to get back on the wagon! Thanks for the inspiration!
Pharmgirl said…
When you are this height, even a couple pounds makes a big difference in size! Like 3 pounds practically = 1 clothing size, so I'm looking a little funny in my clothes right now!
I have fallen off the wagon a couple times but only for a day or two and then get back on. The goal is for this to be sustainable and if won't be if I'm so strict that I don't allow myself the occasional indulgence!!

A pie party sounds like fun! Was it 3/14? :-)
{k} said…
haven't checked out your blog for a while -- but you look great! and glad you're feeling great, too. :)
Troy and Beth said…
You go girl!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Cayman Brac Dive day 1

30 day sugar challenge